Tuesday, February 22, 2011

DIY - Baby food

I am a firm believer that you don't have to sacrifice flavor when eating healthy.

Now, I also know that our little ones have to be introduced to flavor slowly.

Very little salt. Not too sweet. No nuts. No dairy. And all that makes sense! You don’t want to go ruining their virgin taste buds or anything, but it still seems like your first introduction to food should be a good one.

Have you ever opened a can of store bought green beans? They wreak. No wonder our little ones make those faces.

Another problem with store bought baby food is it doesn't even taste like the real deal.

After I started making my own baby food I felt so much more comfortable knowing exactly what my kiddo was eating - he liked it more too. I like to think that the reason he loves peas and carrots now are because he was getting what he eats now in the beginning.

Here were our favorites:

Peas and Zucchini
Baked Apple and Carrots with cinnamon
Baked Apple and Sweet Potatoes with cinnamon
Potatos with a few herbs
Avocado
Bananas with a drop of OJ

Now, when I first started my little guy on solids I thought, how in the world do moms have TIME to make baby food?

Let me just tell you...it probably takes more effort going to the grocery store to buy food than it does to make it. You can probably make 1 month worth of baby food in two hours.

There are so, so many ways to make your own baby food, but this is how I've done it.

1. Clean Veggies/Fruit thoroughly.
2. Cook  - I saute the zucchini, boil the potatoes/peas/beans, and bake the apples. This is when I add the herbs or cinnamon. One trick I learned was to cook the veggies with homemade broth. {Recipe here}This made a HUGE difference (in my opinion).
3. Puree in a blender untill smooth

That's it. You're done.

I stored my baby food in recycled jars and ice trays.

I got all my recipes from my sisters and this site here
I did a little research on these sites here, here, here and here
photo from here

Good luck friends! Let me know if you have any questions....not like I'm a pro or anything...but you know, about how I did it.

2 comments:

  1. I loved making Milo's food. My mom gave me the babycook steamer/blender and it is fantastic, though it doesn't make a large quantity, so I would make food about weekly. That image is awesome. For this next go-around I will be seeking out some better homemade food containers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love wholesomebabyfood.com. That was where I got all my info. I've never thought to boil the veggies with broth instead of water. Great idea! I'm def going to do that from now on. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete